This episode of The Baggage Reclaim Sessions was inspired by a conversation I had with a friend who is so frustrated about her previous relationships and not being in the relationship she wants yet, but then she was back with one of her exes again. I pointed out to her that it was like being in a restaurant and saying that you want to order something–in her case, a healthy, loving, lasting relationship–and then going back and forth with the waiter changing her mind about what she’s ordering! This then prompted her to point out that she’s been wanting a slice of cake but settling for a bite, and then I pointed out that it was more like crumbs… Such a funny conversation that prompted me to go way deeper on the subject of settling, namely, being OK with crumbs.
I talk about:
- Why we can’t hang around at the shallow end of the pool and be surprised that we’re not having experiences more reflective of the deep end
- How the Some-Crumbs-Is-Better-Than-No-Crumbs mentality shows up in our lives whether it’s that we accept sub-par relationships because we’re afraid to be alone or we, like one listener did, run up debt to avoid having to ask our flatmate to pay their bills lest they decide to move out and we don’t have a friend
- The two questions we need to ask ourselves: Where did I learn to do without? and Where did I learn to make do?, and what these actually mean
- Why sucky relationships are like wearing those threadbare and busted undies, bras and socks
- Why having our needs met starts with us meeting our needs
- Why we go to the proverbial restaurant and have the option of ordering anything off the menu, but then ask for a salad and tap water
- Why trying to get what we want as a ‘fast food’ option leads to our own disappointment in the form of a relationship where all that glitters turns out not to be gold
Links mentioned in the episode (and some extras)
- Episode 84 where I talk about discernment
- Episode 82 where I talk about ‘closing the gap’
- Janet Murray’s Soulful PR podcast where she talks about image and how what we wear affects how we feel about ourselves
- Boxpark Croydon – If you spot us there, come and say hello!
If you enjoyed the show, please share the episode – every little helps. Email someone who you think this show is relevant to or use the share buttons at the top and bottom of this episode.
Subscribe and/or leave a review on iTunes (how-to guide here)–it really helps in growing the show! If you’re new to podcasts, find out more about what they are and how to subscribe with this handy guide.
Listener questions can be emailed to podcast AT baggagereclaim DOT com. Got a topic you’d love me to cover? Let me know!